Recycling Gold & Going Green in San Diego
Over the past several years the "going green" movement has really taken off, with consumers across the country looking for ways that they can protect the environment by purchasing eco-friendly products. San Diego Jewelry Buyers (SDJB), San Diego County's most trusted and recognized gold buyer, gold refinery, and estate jewelry buyer, supports all efforts (both inside and outside the jewelry industry) that work towards more sustainable lifestyles which take care of communities around the globe.
By recycling gold, diamonds, fine jewelry, and other precious assets, SDJB is doing its own small part toward reducing the need for increased diamond and precious metal mining. We also are strong supporters of the Ethical Metalsmiths, NoDirtyGold campaign, and Fair Trade Gems practices. To help jewelry shoppers in their desire to "go green", we've compiled the following eco-friendly shopping tips:
1) When considering buying jewelry from a particular designer or jewelry brand, check online what statements they have made regarding where they source their gold and gemstones, and what (if any) recycling measures they take. Also research where their jewelry is made and what steps they have taken to ensure fair labor practices. Or ask your jeweler for this information. If you can't find anything out, choose a different designer or brand.
2) Purchase estate jewelry from San Diego jewelers who sell used gold jewelry and vintage fine jewelry, rather than buying newly made rings, earrings, necklaces, and bracelets.
3) Have your engagement ring set with an estate diamond rather than a new diamond. A diamond, after all, is forever, and will have not lost its beauty and luster. Be sure though to purchase such diamonds from a reputable and established diamond buyer who can ensure the authenticity and quality of the diamond.
4) Go to the NoDirtyGold website and check out which retailers and jewelry manufacturers have pledged their commitment to the "Golden Rules" of responsible gold sourcing. If your favorite jewelry retailer or brand hasn't signed up yet, ask them why not?
5) Support local fine jewelry artisans who manufacture their own jewelry and can better control the process of fine jewelry making and the sourcing of their materials. Many such jewelers can be found in downtown San Diego.
6) Recycle your old or broken gold, silver, and platinum jewelry that you don't wear anymore by selling it to a local precious metal buyer. If your jewelry is set with diamond or precious gemstones, make sure to sell it to someone who is not just an ordinary San Diego gold buyer but a specialty gold buyer who knows fine jewelry and pays you a fair price for the precious metal and the gemstones.
7) Consider cultured pearl jewelry. Cultured pearl production has less of an environmental impact than precious metal mining, and nothing is wasted, as the oyster shells are used for such things as mother-of-pearl jewelry and the manufacturing of buttons.
8) Avoid buying trendy fine jewelry that you'll only wear for a little while and then forget about. Purchase fine jewelry that will be fashionable today, tomorrow, and ten years from now.
For info on how you can sell scrap gold for cash today, contact San Diego Jewelry Buyers for a free, no hassle, appraisal.
We are your trusted A+ BBB rated San Diego gold refinery and diamond jewelry buyer.